Monday, September 9, 2013

goodness from the garden

The children helped with harvesting goodies from the garden 2 evenings ago:
 


  
They washed the root vegetables at the water pump:


 

 
 
I was excited for this moment- the moment when my husband plunged the pitchfork beneath our potato plants to see what was under there. Guess what- potatoes! And plenty of 'em.



 
Mister Five Yr. Old hanging out in the corn.




A few weeks back some of the boys helped dad with the gathering of the parsnip seeds. We'd grown parsnips, left them in the ground until the plants went to seed, pulled them out, let them dry and then removed the seeds. We won't be needing to buy parsnip seeds, ever!


 
The best part according to the kids was what was left over- these dried up pointy parsnips on a hard stalk. Instant spears! The kids had tons of fun for days with those, running around the farm like crazy-wild parsnip warriors on a mammoth hunt.



 
 
Fresh garlic is amazing. It has SO much more flavor than what you find in the stores.



 
We had some family members visit us recently....



...and put them to work in the garden, of course! ;) (My sister-in-law is on the right)


 







 
And last but not least, the very first corn we've ever grown! Is it beautiful? No, not really. But we grew it ourselves so I love it. AND, it turned out to be the most flavorful, delicious corn I have ever had! Wow.

15 comments:

  1. A lovely post. Your little boys expression whe n holding that parsnip spear is priceless. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of corn is it? Everything looks great! Send me a couple of parsnips seeds...I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. the kind of corn it is.... I don't remember! :p I can send you some parsnip seeds if you really want some. I still have your address from my newsletter days! :)

      Delete
  3. So beautiful pictures, it's amazing how you can handle with everything, the kids, the farm, the homeschooling, and your business. Congratulations you're such an inspiration for me. God blesse you :) Obrigado :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa, I often joke that homeschooling, raising a large family and homesteading are each full time jobs, yet we try to do all 3 everyday! It's a fun, fun, crazy life.

      Delete
  4. Love all your pictures of paradise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great carton full of eggs - what a lovely life you have on your homestead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bounty! The Lord has abundantly blessed your gardening efforts. I love to see the pictures of your young homesteaders! What a great way to raise children :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs T, I couldn't agree more! :)

      Delete
  7. So happy to have just found your blog. Your pictures are great. We have Red Bourbons, too, and I love them. Turkeys with character. Your corn looks great. I look forward to reading more.
    From Glory Farm,
    Odiie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the kind comment, odiie! Those turkeys are hilarious creatures, for sure.

      Delete
  8. Hi! I found your blog at the LetsHomeschoolHighSchool blog roll. Great pictures!! And what great lessons for your kids. Love this.
    I wish we could do this in our backyard.
    Have you seen the movie Faith Like Potatoes? It's a really good family movie. One of our favorite family movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, thanks for the visit! I've not seen that movie, though the title sounds familiar... I'm going to look it up. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness. My internet was down a month and is finally working. I went to your blog and no activity here for well over a month now. I hope you all are ok. Please let us know. I am a worrier. Even though I have never met y'all, I feel like I know each one of you through your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, we are all good, no need to worry. I am just very overdue for some blog posting due to plain old busy- ness! Thank you for checking in though , I promise to get some blogging done soon. ;)

      Delete