Saturday, November 2, 2013

chilly days, and a granola recipe

Upon moving to north Idaho we were told by all our new, friendly neighbors that it gets cold "right at the end of October". For the 3rd year now, that has been exactly the case! Quite suddenly we have below freezing temps, heavy winds and clouds and cold rains. And it won't be too long before we see snowflakes flying!

It's overcast, brown and chilly out there.




It's official, our pasture grasses are gone. The sheep and cattle are on hay now. 

"munch munch munch"



This is the children this morning. Today is especially stormy outside. A good day for keeping in your footy pajamas and getting dragged around the house!





It's also a good day for granola. Actually I decided to make a batch of granola just after I kneaded our bread dough. It's so chilly that I knew it would have a very difficult time rising without some sort of cozy heat source. "Baking in the oven creates a very cozy heat, let's bake something!"

The dough rising on the oven top:



Here is my granola recipe. I've been making it forever, adapted from the one in a cookbook called How it all Vegan. Since I was vegetarian far longer than I have been a meat eater, I still have more veg cookbooks on my shelf than meaty ones!

  


In a great big bowl, mix:

12 cups oats
2 cups sunflower seeds
3/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup flax seeds
1 T cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar (the original recipe calls for twice that)
1 and 1/4 cup olive oil
1 and 1/2 t salt

Pour it on a baking sheet. I fill 3 baking sheets for this recipe. Bake at 350 for around 10 minutes. Every oven I've baked this in cooks at different times. Check it and don't let it start getting black on the edges. Interestingly, the original recipe calls for baking it for 30 minutes. My very first batch ever was black!

I like to add raisins to mine. The original recipe also called for 3/4 cup chopped almonds to be added before baking, which is really delicious! But who can afford to buy almonds anymore.






Yum!




4 comments:

  1. love your updates! our granola recipe is very similar!! http://www.oldgatesfarm.com/2013/04/a-favorite-snack.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you saw my comment on your blog post, kris. :)

      Delete
  2. It does look cold way out there. I'd stay inside in my jammies too. Your granola looks good. I use honey in mine when I make it. I need to make some more now. Love the bunny in the pumpkin! Too cute. Have a greta week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kris! I bet your granola is so yummy with honey! You have a great week, too!

      Delete